Freeware's and Shareware's well worth downloading!|
A great download site with more than 300K software and games, including professional reviews and user ratings.
Disk Backup Tools
Create slide shows for your TV and PC. Using ProShow, you can build high quality shows with your digital images. ProShow makes creating shows easy. Just drag photos into the show, set transitions and timing, and add sound tracks. Choose from over 170 professional quality transition effects. Control timing of slides and transitions. Add sound tracks, complete with volume and fade controls. Add captions to slides and apply effects like scaling, colorization and rotation to perfect your images.Electronic Delivery $59.95.Shareware expires after 15 days, but try it. The best slideshow program I have found.
Many people are using
Winzip to handle compressed files. It is nothing wrong with this program but Powerarchiver can
actually do more and is furthermore a freeware From now on it is my alternative!
Many programs that start out as simple graphics-file viewers get increasingly bloated with each new version. In fact, most are now too slow for us to recommend. The exception is IrfanView 3.85 (free), which displays dozens of image formats and feels like the fastest program ever written. If viewing image files is your main concern, this is a sure win.
"xint" (pronounced "zint")
is an alternative to Windows notepad, with dozens of useful functions. The focus is on efficiency and performance and thus there are no toolbars, redundant dialogs, or other uneccesary components. Most of the functions are accessible via hotkeys, and extra formatting options are also availible through a convenient floating menu (screenshot) that is activated also via hotkeys or the system menu to wherever your cursor happens to be. Make extracting html content from a textfile, or alternately, saving only the html easy. Turn tab space delimited text files into comma delimited files, or, vice-a-versa. xint does the standard find and replace much quicker then with regular notepad. Another thing that is of great convenience, is "Twofish" encryption. Use "Twofish", a military-strength 160-bit encryption algoritm to securely hide sensitive data. xint is a fairly resource-friendly application which comes with an uninstaller. Hope you find this freeware useful.
Clock Your Connection Speed. How fast is your Internet connection, really?
Providers of the various types of connections promise different communication
speeds, but are you actually getting what you've been promised? Depending
on network traffic, actual speeds can be slower. Cable modems are fast-as
long as not too many of your neighbours are sharing the line-but can slow
considerably with a heavy load. How do you know if you should switch to
lets you check your connection speed in real time. NetPerSec monitors
all TCP/IP activity to and from the Internet or other networks, and graphs
the communication speed.
If you are a small business or individual who cannot afford Microsoft Office Suite, you can download three modules of a new suite that has appeared from Software602. In this case, you get a Word-compatible word processor, an Excel-compatible spreadsheet program and an excellent image editor. The best part: These programs are free and are Windows9x/NT/2000-compatible. The products are damn good. In fact
you'll be impressed with some of the flashy features. I assume some problematic Microsoft code
won't work on these products, but the software worked fine with all my .doc and spreadsheet files, says John C. Dvorak, editor of Pc Magazine, October 3 in his column.
CDex is a utility of extraction (ripping) any audio files from an audio CD. The files can be ripped in either the plain WAV format or to a compressed file format (CDex supports many encoders). In addition, it has many additional options to convert between several audio file formats. CDex is released under the GPL terms
is an excellent place to find freeware as well as shareware's.
A new site that tracks the latest info on prerelease
applications you might try out is fileFlash.com.
JUMBO!. Over 300,000 Shareware And Freeware Programs
How do you find the best downloads on the Web without hours of
searching? We've done it for you -- check out the ZDNet Software
Library's 100 5-star downloads
Most Popular MS-Windows95Downloads
Windows Central with over 10 000 pages of premium windows information
, the Channel's great computer show
From ZDNET. Top 50 Free Favourites Countdown
Five Star Internet Shareware. A goldmine, trust me. The UK's Premier Website for Shareware and Freeware Downloads.
At DownLoad32.com, the shareware download site you will find over 41.000 shareware and freeware programs.
Of course you should also visit
All the free Screen Savers on the Net. Try also hear!
GALT Shareware and Software. Great stuff.
ITPRODownloads is one of the best shareware-sites for both PC and Mac!
- Babylon Babylon offers immediate one-click text translation and reference in Windows applications. This superb utility was originally designed for language translation, but it works quite nicely for any number of applications that would benefit from a very convenient reference. It's perfect for users of textual English applications -- such as an Internet browser, an encyclopaedia, or even the instructions for the latest cool game -- who aren't native English speakers. It supports more than 50 languages
- Zonealarm provides Internet security for any individual computer. It is an ideal tool for blocking unwanted Internet connections for machines using always-on DSL or cable modem connections. John C. Dvorak, editor at PC Magazine, writes in his
column October -00, I would say that version 2.1 of this product is a tour de force of software The product is perfect - and stunning. I
can't recommend it enough although I bought the Pro-version with some additional features. If you have DSL or cable modems, it is a must with this kind of protection.
is spidering software I use to check my Web site for broken links (11120 URL: s, on my 5578 pages as per May 20 , Year 2008, of which 4589 of the pages represent my genealogy presentations.
Link verification is done on "normal" links, images, frames, backgrounds, local image maps, style sheets, scripts and applets. It displays a continuously updated list of URLs which you can sort by different criteria. A bonus is that in the
next update ( there is a betaversion already) one also get a sitemap.xml file. Also for free
- Internet improver. Download Accelerator is a download accelerator/manager that can increase download speeds by up to 300 percent. It features multiserver connections to provide the best possible performance from your dial-up or broadband connection.
Link Sleuth (TM) is a
spidering software I use to check my Web site for
broken links (5065 URL:s, on my 2012 pages as per August 3, Year 2004)). Link verification is done on "normal"
links, images, frames, backgrounds, local image maps,
style sheets, scripts and applets. It displays a
continuously updated list of URLs which you can sort by
- A tiny little program which help me to get better control of the time and date is Tclock It extends the clock which windows shows in the bottom right corner if your monitor. In my case it now shows, apart from actual time the name of the day , the date and the week number
If you need a program to organize, edit, and share your digital photos you should choose Picasa! Yet it's as intuitive as ever, and thanks to Google, it's completely free. This past summer, the ever-expanding Google empire acquired Picasa, one of PC Magazine's favorite photo-management tools, and a week later, in keeping with its usual business strategy, the company quit charging for the application. Now, for the first time since the acquisition, Google has released a new version, Picasa 2.0, and PC Magazine like it even more than before.
- Ad-aware is a free multi-spyware removal tool that detects and safely removes components of advertising parasites from your system. Nowadays I combine this program with Spybot
Search and Destroy! which removes differnet advertising parasites
New Freeware - updated every day
- over 50000 programs listed. Here you can download a new software including freeware, shareware and demo versions of commercial software.
- Many utilities promise to remove all traces of a file from your hard drive. Eraser is a freeware that actually gets the job done.
In addition to wiping a file, Eraser can remove leftover copies by
wiping all free space on the drive, including the leftover space between
the end of the a file and the border of next unit of hard drive space.
Instructions guide you through the process of temporarily disabling
the Windows swap file and wiping the spec used. The result is more
space and more speed.
- XP-AntiSpy is a little utility
that let's you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features'
in Windows XP. For example, there's a service running in the background
which is called 'Automatic Updates'. I don't know what this service
transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially
the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you
like, you can even disable these function manually, by going through
the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes.
Microsoft just released a Trialware (through July) of their new
(bought Giant AS). It actually works very well right now, I'm switching from using a combination of other free programs to it now.
- One of the most effective ways I've found to fight email virus senders and spammers is to use MailWasher.
It's a freeware email management program for Windows that lets you manage your emails before you download them from your email server.I particularly like MailWasher's ability to bounce unwanted email back to spammers, so that it appears (to them) as though your email address is no longer valid. Has probably saved me a lot of troubled with spam and virus into my PC.
- UnClean 2, replaces the uninstall portion of the ARP with an improved version that provides full and clear access to all available information, and does so for any of the six current Windows platforms. You can also delete an uninstall entry if you discover that it's no longer valid. And of course, you can remove, change, or repair programs in the same way that you can with ARP. You have to register before downloading.
- Without XPdite, Microsoft's Patch, or XP's Service
Pack 1, clicking on a simple, but malicious, URL
can delete the entire contents of your directories.
This FREE 30 kbyte "XPdite" utility INSTANTLY protects
your Windows XP system until you install the 1.35
megabyte patch or XP's Service Pack 1.
Are you using broadband? The Risk Digest is a great way to keep up to date on all kind of risks!
The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware and displays the results in your Web browser. The Hardware Detector is free for personal use and have a file size of 602 KB and can be downloaded now. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server. I was surprised myself to find detailed informations of my system I did not know about before.
Runs on Windows 95/98/Me,
NT 4, Windows 2000 and XP.
Requires IE 3 or Netscape 3, and higher versions. Also runs on Opera.
- One of the limitations of the Windows XP/2000 defragmentation interface is that it is not possible to defragment files that are open for exclusive access. The utility PageDefrag uses advanced techniques to provide you what commercial defragmenters cannot: the ability for you to see how fragmented your paging files and Registry hives are, and to defragment them. In addition, it defragments event log files and Windows 2000/XP hibernation files (where system memory is saved when you hibernate a laptop).
- StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus.
- The Ultimate CD and DVD data recovery tool ! Rescue lost files from a bad or trashed CD or DVD ! with this freeware program.
Save important documents, precious pictures from the family, your only system backup, ...
IsoBuster can do it all !
VCW VicMan's Photo Editor
is a versatile image editor with an intuitive interface and a wide variety of features. This powerful application is user friendly, offering simple image editing, high productivity and easy customization. The best thing is that it is for free!
- UltraWipe is a utility that enables complete removal of sensitive data from the hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns while protection your privacy and recovering disk space at the same time. You can quickly select common file types like browser cache, temp files and others - but also add your custom entries as well. The program comes with an "Urgent Wipe" features that enables a "panic button" which will instantly delete a user defined range of files by either pressing the tray icon or a keyboard shortcut. UltraWipe includes a scheduler which can use to automate the wiping process. In addition to cleaning up the browser s cache, cookies, history, recent document list and custom entries, UltraWipe can also wipe free space, DRAM and much more!
- DoubleKiller is a fast and easy to use application for finding and removing duplicate files. And it is for free!
- SyncToy 2.0 for Windows is available as a free download from the Microsoft Download Center. The easy to use, customizable application helps you copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders and computers.
There are files from all kinds of sources that we want to store and manage. Files are created by our digital cameras, e-mail, cell phones, portable media players, camcorders, PDAs, and laptops. Increasingly, computer users are using different folders, drives, and even different computers (such as a laptop and a desktop) to store, manage, retrieve and view files. Yet managing hundreds or thousands of files is still largely a manual operation. In some cases it is necessary to regularly get copies of files from another location to add to primary location; in other cases there is a need to keep two storage locations exactly in sync. Some users manage files manually, dragging and dropping from one place to another and keeping track of whether the locations are synchronized in their heads. Other users may use two or more applications to provide this functionality.
The Bat! is an e-mail client designed to be your solution for handling large volumes of e-mail. It is a shareware and offers unlimited accounts and multiple identities. The latest version comes with both antivirus and antispam protection, built-in backup and restore, a comprehensive scheduler, a unique MailTicker, and a sorting office that allows efficient message filtering.
- The freeware
Atomic Clock Sync utility
can help you keep your local computer up-to-date with the exact current time. And no spyware! No ad banners! No cost! No questions asked!
is a free virtual on-screen virtual keyboard designed for anyone with a disability that prevents him or her from typing on a physical computer keyboard. As long as the person can control a mouse, trackball or other pointing device, he or she can send keystrokes to virtually any Windows application or DOS application that can run within a window. Click-N-Type is a 32 bit application that requires Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP or later. There are other virtual keyboards around but you'll find Click-N-Type the easiest to use for getting text into those uncooperative places like browser URL "Address:" fields, Email "To:" addresses, Email "Subject:" fields, dialog boxes like "Open" and "Save As...", and many other problematic applications.
Microsoft Photo Story 3
is a truly significant upgrade, offering dramatic improvements to almost every feature. This free program is an excellent choice for users looking for an intuitive way to create compelling slide shows from their digital still images.
PROS:Free. Easy wizard-driven interface. Powerful panning and zooming controls. Text captions on images and 48 different transitions. Customizable soundtrack creation.
CONS: No CD or DVD burning.
This page was updated: April 3 , Year 2015 regarding some dead links